Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dog Breeding & Health Tests

Ok, I just ran across a guy who is looking for a bitch to add to his home and breeding business. I say business because from what I see of his website that is what he is attempting to get off the ground. His first litter was produced when both parents were just over a year old. I can find absolutely no indication of health testing on his site and so far he has not answer my e-mail enquiring about this.

According to letters he has put in the comments page of his site he was selling puppies at the International Plowing Match. I wonder if he gives any consideration to the homes the puppies are going too. I wonder if he will take these puppies back in 6-9 months when these purchases realize they had no business buying a border collie in the first place.

This guy got his first dog in 2005. He now has 4 or 5 in his home and is looking for a blue factored bitch to breed to his new blue male. Guess he is going to produce nice "rare" coloured puppies so he can sell them for more money.

I am sure this guy has the best intentions. I am sure he means no harm to the breed or the puppies or the ignorant people who purchase from him. But he is perpetuating an age old problem. I hope his puppies are healthy (for the purchasers sake). I just really wish people would do at least a little bit of research before they jump feet first into something.

And I wish that Border Collies weren't becoming so bloody popular.

Oh, but this guy must be ok because he is a lifetime member of the CBCA. But he isn't ruining the working ability of the breed. Only people who want to compete in CKC do that.

No comments: